Monday, August 25, 2008

It's Game Week...

So it's been a whole whopping week since I posted, and for a change, a descent amount of stuff happened...thus worth my time and yours with me posting again. Or something like that... Anyhoo...

Meagan came back Monday evening, which was nice. Her mom and I went to pick her and her dad up from the airport. Meagan and I then got to spend a few hours together before she had to go do some last minute packing and peruse everything making sure she was ready to leave for Tech the next morning. We also found out that apparently the airport staff had stolen one of Don's bottles of hot sauce he had bought at Sylvia's Soul Food in Harlem. The nerve of those stupid Yankees.

At any rate, Tuesday I got up, got ready, got a steak burrito from Phoenix Drive-In (this place really is awesome if you haven't tried it. One of the better burgers in town as well), and then picked up Meagan and drove to Russellville. Surprisingly, we were able to get her stuff unloaded in roughly 45 minutes or so, and then proceeded to start unpacking and organizing. This also wasn't too terribly tough, considering the fact that her room is spread out a whopping 8' x 10'. Certainly doesn't leave too much room to contemplate where to put this and that. The positives of the day included a trip to Taco Bueno, and getting to really "freak out" two of her suitemates. Pictures this if you will...Meagan and her mom are introducing themselves to the two freshman suitemates (this suite has two single rooms, meagan got one and a junior got the other, with the double belonging to the to younguns). All of a sudden they hear the toilet flush and out pops this random strange guy who they've never met, he looks, nods and walks by them. The look on their face was the priceless kind where they immediately thought some guy was living in there with them. Well, maybe it was one of those situations where you had to be there. I don't know.

Back to the other roommate. Absolutely one of the rudest people I have ever seen. I can't say "that I've ever met" as she didn't speak a word to anyone. Furthermore, she didn't even acknowledge that we were even in the common area of the suite...as we were making noise, talking, and moving stuff around. It got to the point that I stood at the end of the hallway and stared at her for a couple of minutes, out of spite of course, while she sat there in her room.
Never even blinked. As it turns out, she one of these people who's in the honors college, and one that very much believes that she's better and smarter than you or anyone else could ever dream of being. She also apparently will at some point go out of her way to let you know that. I sincerely hope I am around for that one because let's face it, I'm a jackass. And while I may not be the smartest guy on the planet, I think I'm doing alright for myself. That could be a fun interaction.

In other news, on Tuesday we also apparently got a forklift at work. So that's fun. It might not really sound like that big of a deal, but we've needed one and the guy next door with the forklifts has started being a jerk with 'em. So dad just up and bought one.

Wednesday I worked and had choir, while Meagan started the first day of the last semester of her college career at Arkansas Tech. I'll tell you, church choir is such an awesome ministry, and I'm glad to be a part of it. Not only are we helping the church reach out to the congregation and such, it also helps us through the week as well. Whether you've had a rough couple of days or not, I always feel uplifted when I walk in there on Wednesday nights, and I would be lying if I said it didn't help me get through the rest of the work week sometimes.

Thursday and Friday at work, I am happy to say we got a LOT accomplished. Finally got somewhat caught up on a lot of these smaller jobs that have been getting in the way of the much higher paying gigs :-) Still have several things I'm gonna try and finish up in the next couple of days, but it's nice to have a least a smidget of breathing room.

Saturday I went down to Russellville. Partly because I'm whipped and missed her tremendously (yes, even after a mere 4 days...but that was following the 5 day New York trip. don't judge me...), and because she didn't have the greatest of days on Friday, and I felt she needed me to be there, also adding the fact that for some reason, EVERYONE it seemed had went home for the weekend down there...despite it being just the first weekend after classes had started. Either way, it was a nice relaxing day. We hung out, went to Whattaburger (which is still, and will always be phenomenal by the way), made a Walmart run for her, and went to visit my Grandma and Aunt who live in nearby Pottsville.

Sunday was my resting day. Church in the morning, which was awesome as usual, Bible Study, and then lunch with the folks at El Chico's. I got home, let the dog inside for a while, and sprawled out on the couch and didn't move for nearly 4 hours. Granted, I didn't sleep that whole time, but still, nearly 4 hours. A trip to Walmart for myself, and then back home to watch the Colts and Bills play on NFL Network.

So it leads into today. It's game week. It's the start of the 5th season in my opinion...Sports Season. The season that starts with football, molds into basketball, and crosses into baseball, lasting from Labor Day Weekend until hopefully the end of June. It's glorious, not to mention it gives us all something to do. It also marks the return of new shows on TV, giving us even more things to do. So a big woohoo to that. At any rate, Saturday is the Season/Home opener for the Hogs. Let's face it, it will be a slaughter. WIU is a creampuff, and despite us losing the big horses, and our defense being green, I look for it to be a laugher, but it's still football! And on my birthday no less! What a glorious day it will be. Meagan will be going up to Fayetteville with me, as will the Drizzle, making his valiant return to God's Country. It will be great to see you Driz, and the rest of the gang, hanging out, eating and watching some foosball together again.

I might as well go on ahead and post a prediction for the season here. I am no betting man, and am guaranteeing this probably won't come to pass...as most every one of you know, I usually am eternally optimistic and vote with my heart instead of my head. But any rate, we beat WIU and Monroe, win on a last second field goal against Texas, which gives us the momentum to beat Bama and Florida. Petrino then shows Tubberville why Aubie wanted to hire him (not to mention he wants to win so we'll be celebrating at the 2nd Annual Deckapalooza). Sadly injuries take their toll and Kentucky upsets us as we get screwed on a bogus pass interference call, beat Ole Miss in a hardcore all out grudge match, roll all over Tulsa, continue our dominance over South Carolina and Miss State. We then lose to LSU. I hate to say that, but that is one game I have a hard time seeing us win. They will be out for blood after last year, and in general, I just can't stand Little Rock. The city or the games down there. So 10-2. Will I be right? Who knows. Most people will probably say I'm crazy, but then I question who says I wasn't crazy to begin with.

That's all I got. Happy Game Week.

1 comment:

drizzle said...

I once knew a guy who wished Little Rock would flood, just cover everything with water. He later backtracked and said he only meant War Memorial Stadium in Little Rock, but we knew what he meant.

You and he seem to have strong feelings about the place in common.